SSVFD Responds to a House Fire
On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at approximately 3:30 pm, SSVFD Paramedic Engine 740 and Truck 740 were alerted along with surrounding units for a reported house fire at the 14200 block of Clayton Street. Units arrived with fire showing from the back of the house. A RID and Task Force were requested, bringing SSVFD Canteen 740 to the scene to assist with firefighter rehab and rehydration.
SSVFD would like to remind everyone to check their smoke alarms! Here are some safety tips:
-Smoke alarms must be within 10 years of the date of manufacture (the date is stamped on the back of the smoke alarm). Anything older must be replaced!
-Change smoke alarm batteries every 6 months. Remember “Change your clock, change you smoke alarm battery!” This is for Battery Only and Hardwired smoke alarms!
-As of January 1, 2018, all BATTERY ONLY operated smoke alarms must be changed over to 10 year sealed battery smoke alarms. More information here: https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/mcfrs-info/resources/files/laws/smokealarmlaw.pdf
-Practice fire escape drills with your family every month. Always plan 2 ways to get out, and discuss a common meeting place away from the house once you get out (ie mailbox, end of the driveway, curb, etc).