The Sandy Spring Volunteer Fire Department is selectively recruiting new members. We offer many categories of membership to fit your needs. From Firefighter/Rescuer to Auxiliary member and anything in between, we’re sure you will find a role that is rewarding to you and benefits your neighbors, friends, and community. Those applying as an EMT or Firefighter/Rescuer will be required to undergo a physical (free of charge) and background check. No experience is needed, however, members must be at least 17 years of age to apply.
Volunteering is the Ultimate way to give back to your community! You will be saving and protecting the lives of your community while learning about teamwork and leadership in many different types of situations. This on the job training will serve you in many fields. You will get to meet many new people in a friendly, family oriented atmosphere.
While the benefits of joining are significant and meaningful, becoming a volunteer EMT / firefighter involves a tremendous investment in time, a long term commitment, and drive / personal dedication in in the service of others.
As soon as you are accepted for membership, your service commitment begins immediately with both training and station requirements. When the members join they are responsible for the following:
- Volunteer Basic Orientation Course (VBOC), Friday Nights 1900-2200 for 10 weeks.
- Protective Envelope and Foam (PEAF) Class, Sunday Days 0800-1600
- Hazardous Materials Operations for First Responders (Hazmat), Wednesday Nights 1900-2200 and Saturday Days 0800-1600 for 3 weeks.
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Class – 14 Weeks
- Fall OR Spring Semester
Monday, Wednesday Nights 1900-2200, Saturday Days 0800-1600
Tuesday, Thursday Nights 1900-2200, Sunday Days 0800-1600
- Summer Semester – Full Time – 6 Weeks
Monday – Friday 0800-1600
- One weekly shift night (7 days a week) 1700-0700, Weekends 0700-1700
- 12 monthly Membership Meetings, (3rd Wednesday of the month 2000-2200)
- Occasional mandatory community events
- National Night Out
- Santa Runs
- Other Mandatory events
Because of the serious investment in time and training, we encourage and prioritize those with prior fire service experience, and those that are willing and able to meet the commitments to apply. If you are interested in joining, please fill out our application using the form below and the membership chair will contact you shortly.
“Volunteering… For the Experience of a Life Time!”